Monday, January 14, 2013

Times they are a changin'

I just went back through my pictures from when Molly first came home from the hospital. I was looking for a picture of her bedroom because I wanted to compare what her room looked like then with all of the medical equipment...ventilator, O2 concentrator, feeding pump, etc. Now we all know I take a lot of pictures and I could not find one picture of her vent. I don't know if I just wasn't thinking or if it was something I did subconsciously. The closest one I found was one that my parents had taken before we arrived home.


This past weekend I had to rearrange the furniture in her room because we use a humidifier for her every night. Well, we were using it to block the exit of her bed except the other day she wanted to get out and kicked it over. I needed to figure out a way to put the room so the humidifier could go at the head of her bed. It's all done now and this morning as I was cleaning up the mess she had made in the 10 minutes I was in the shower I was looking around and thinking about how much her room has changed in the 2 years she has been home. The spots that used to hold her medical equipment are now filled with toys, clothes and furniture. The top of her bureau used to be covered in gloves, compressor, water, syringes. It's all gone and now it's just baby wipes, remote controls. Her closet does still have her feeding pump, feeding bags, some misc supplies and two oxygen tanks...just in case! The only medical equipment left out in her room is her O2 monitor.

                                              This is her room today

         The only piece left...that we will never part with!

This Thursday I'm meeting with the public school system about preschool. I'm anxious and excited to see what they have to say and get the ball rolling. I'm excited to say "adios" to Early Intervention. I'm emotional because she is growing up so fast and isn't going to need me as much anymore but I can't wait for her to start her new therapies and make the progress that I know she will make. I'm going into our meeting with an open mind. I'm not completely ruling out preschool. Just putting it on the back burner for now. We have a lot to think about and discuss. It's not as easy as just picking out a day care and signing her up. There's so much to take into consideration. I don't work out of the house so I don't rely on daycare. I do know it would be good for her to associate with other kids but is that more important than her health? We will see what Thursday brings.

Molly was recently sick (and passed it along to me) and has handled it really well. She never had a fever and her O2 was always 99-100. She was never cranky and always played, ate and drank. She was really congested and snotty and still has a little bit of a lingering cough but she did so well. We can't wait for the winter to be over. All of the talk about the flu is really freaking us out. I won't be able to breathe easy until it's over. We have decided to limit her exposure to public places. Absolutely no indoor kid play places..I don't even like them in the summer time, only stores that aren't crowded, no sick people, no people that have been around sick people. We are always so careful but we are taking extra precautions. Call us over protective, crazy, whatever you want but if she gets sick and ends up in the hospital we are the ones that have to sit there every day and watch her struggle...NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have already been down that path and it's not a path I ever want to travel again.

She is back to her no sleeping, happy self. She is so close to walking. She walks along things all the time and spends the majority of her days standing. Her communication is also getting better. She doesn't talk but she does some signs and lets us know what she wants. She also does all of the hand movements that we taught her for songs like itsy bitsy, Wheels on the Bus and Twinkle Twinkle. Here is a youtube clip of her doing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Twinkle Twinkle

I hope everyone is staying healthy in the New Year. As always, thank you for following and caring about Molly!

No comments:

Post a Comment