Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What we've been dreading

At the beginning of last week I came down with a cold. It started off with a sore throat then a stuffy nose and cough. I started taking medicine at the first sign hoping it wouldn't develop into anything but it did. Our biggest fear was that Molly would catch it since I'm the one home with her all day. I don't know how I even caught it. I'm so careful. I'm always washing and sanitizing my hands. Whenever I would pick her up I would put a mask on. I tried to just let her play and only picked her up when she needed me to. We had made it through the week and Molly stayed healthy. Saturday night we went out to dinner and Molly was so great. That night she went to bed and about 10:20 she woke up screaming and kind of gasping for air. We think she coughed in her sleep and panicked. She calmed down after a few minutes but kept waking up all night. The next day we went to the store and got some Vicks rub and some honey elixer to soothe her throat. We kept an eye on her temperature and her O2 sats. She never spiked a fever and her O2 was always 97-98 which is where she usually sits. By Sunday afternoon she had a cough and a stuffy nose and didn't feel like eating her drinking. At that point we were so grateful for her g tube. I made the decision to just keep her in bed Monday. I brought her movies, books and toys to her and I brought my laptop into her room and worked from her room while she rested in her bed. She took a 3 hour nap and when she woke up I gave her a bath. She was feeling so much better after her nap. She woke up a few times Monday night but after 1am she slept until 8:30am. She woke up feeling so much better and was eating and drinking again. Today she is back to herself. She still has a little cough but her stuffy nose is gone. We are so happy that she handled this cold well but it doesn't mean that we are ready for her to be exposed to germs. We are still going to be as protective as ever. I know that we can't keep her in a bubble and we can't protect her from the world and we know that she's going to get colds here and there but we're not ready to let our guard down. I'm still not going to let her touch things in public or touch other kids or lick play ground equipment. I know that people judge us for how crazy we are with germs but we are the ones that will have to sit in a hospital day and night with her if she does end up getting admitted for an illness. We are the ones that have got her this far in life. We are the ones that sat in the hospital every day when she was fighting for her life and made the promise to ourselves that when she came home we would do everything we could to keep her out. We always make the best decisions for her despite what anyone thinks. Here are some pictures of the patient on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment