Friday, August 3, 2012

The Results Are In...

Earlier this week Molly had her 6 month evaluation through Early Intervention. The point of the assessment is to tell us where she is now, what goals she has met and what she still needs to work on, not that I need an assessment to tell me that. In order to continue with the services we have to go through with it so we did. We did most of it on Wednesday but our sessions are only 45 mins long and that doesn't allow for enough time to do the entire evaluation. We did as much as we could and we completed the gross motor, fine motor, self care and social section on Thursday. We went over the scores and I was kind of disappointed. I don't know how accurate they are because they test her on the stupidest things. Some things she was beyond a 2 year level but other things that she didn't do or couldn't do brought her score way down. The most disappointing for me was her score in gross motor. I don't know why I thought she was going to score higher but because she doesn't walk or cruise along furniture she scored pretty low. Six months ago she was at a 7 month level and now she's at 9 months. When she starts walking that will go way up but for now that's what it is. She is almost 27 months old and scored at a 9 month level...heartbreaking! I'm not going to dwell on it because I know she is doing so well but I did have a pity party yesterday. Next was fine motor. She was at an 8 month level 6 months ago and now she's at an 11 month level. The reason she's only at 11 months is because she doesn't pick things up with her pointer finger and thumb. She picks it up with her whole hand. She also didn't color on the paper which really brings the score down. UGH! On to self care. There are 3 sections for this group. For feeding she was at 8 months and now she's at 11 months which I was pretty surprised but she explained that it's because she doesn't feed herself with a fork or spoon. Toileting was 11 months and now she's 15 months and hygeine was 14 months now she's 15 months. For selfcare over all her score was 14 months. Last was social. She offered toys to me, she adjusts well to new surroundings, she engages in conversation, etc. She was at 10 months and now she's at 16 months. I don't know the results of communication or cognative. I don't want to know the results of communication and we are guessing for cognative she'll be at a 12 month level. I told the woman that as long as she continues to make forward progress that's all I care about and it's true but those scores really bothered me yesterday but I'm over it today. She is still the most amazing little girl I know and will do amazing things in life.

I had mentioned that we are helping a very wonderful nurse and good friend, Kristin, raise money for the New York Marathon. She is running the 26.2 mile marathon in honor of Molly and all of her other patients at Children's Hospital Boston. We have partnered up with her through Miles for Miracles. We are so proud of her and so honored that she would include us in such an amazing event. After all, we owe her so much for all that she has done for us and for Molly. One of our good friends, sells Pampered Chef and has offered to throw an online Pampered Chef Fundraising Party. The party runs now through August 8th. 10% of the sales will go the Miles for Miracles fundraiser. If you are interested in getting some great new gadgets for your kitchen or for a gift for someone else (Christmas is only 4 months away) as well as giving back to our favorite cause, please click on the link and as always we appreciate your support!!
Pampered Chef Fundraiser for Miles for Miracles

No comments:

Post a Comment